ObjectDB ObjectDB

ObjectDB eclipse plugin

Hello,

Creating an eclipse plugin from the downloadable objectdb.jar file DOES NOT work in the eclipse OSGi environment (at least that is my experience).

Could we have a genuine eclipse plugin from ObjectDB that works? You already have a plugin that integrates Objectdb with BIRT, so it seems it should not be difficult.

The downloads could now have both the eclipse plugin as well as the usual jar.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

edit
delete

You may fill a feature request (a new feature request or an extension to this feature request).

The problem might be related to circular class loading (i.e. application depends on ObjectDB, but ObjectDB has to use classes of that application when objects are retrieved from the database) - this is something that the ObjectDB BIRT plugin doesn't have to handle.

Anyway, the workaround of embedding the ObjectDB jar in the plugin (as discussed in this thread and this thread) works, so at the moment there are other feature requests with higher priority.

ObjectDB Support
edit
delete

>> Anyway, the workaround of embedding the ObjectDB jar in the plugin (as discussed in this thread and this thread) works, so at the moment there are other feature requests with higher priority.

True, I concurr that IT WORKS.

However consider the bloat that is added to my application that currently has 15 eclipse plugins. The size of objectdb.jar is 1.29 MB ( times 15 = 19.35Mb!) - a significant increase in size. With a single eclipse plugin I only objectdb would only contribute an acceptable 1.29 Mb.

Still, thanks a million.

NB: The feature-requests link echoes my sentiments about objectdb current version exactly. Still, a great effort by the Objectdb team so far and I am proud of you. I can patiently wait for the changes in the feature requests.

edit
delete

I see. For 15 plugins it does make a difference.

This will have to be addressed in future version - please subscribe to that issue.

Thank you for your kind words and for the important feedback.

ObjectDB Support
edit
delete

If in eclipse you create a project from a jar using objectdb. Add the objectdb.conf file. The set up BuddyLoading it should work. It did for me, at least in the development environment. I have not yet build an application and tested it.

edit
delete

Build 2.3.3_03 includes initial OSGi support.

The objectdb.jar is created now as an OSGi bundle and may be used from other OSGi bundles.

Any feedback will be welcome.

ObjectDB Support
edit
delete

To post on this website please sign in.