ObjectDB ObjectDB

Roadmap - no progress - any plans - transparency?

Hi!

I have been using ObjectDB for some time, and I'm relatively glad about it.

What I'm not so satisfied is that there is no roadmap for ObjectDB. We see bug fixes and minor adjustments, which is great, but there's nothing about the future. We need to know in which direction ObjectDB is heading, and if it's heading anywhere or just staying in this state forever, as I see it.

It would be nice to have more transparency about this topic. I know there are feature requests already made, but they seem to be ignored.

So, my (and my company's) wish is to see a clear roadmap of ObjectDB. Besides increasing our confidence in your company, this will also help us when suggesting our customers to use this technology instead of other DBMS.

I look forward to hearing more about this. Thank you.

edit
delete

Feature requests are taken very seriously and we aim to implement most of them in next ObjectDB versions. You can see that many feature requests have been created by us at ObjectDB Software. So by browsing our issue tracking system, you can have a general idea of what will be included in future versions of ObjectDB. You can also take an active role by creating new feature requests. Unfortunately we cannot provide a date for implementation of specific feature requests.

ObjectDB 2.x reached a high level of stability and that is not something that can be taken for granted. In the first years after the release of version 2.0, many critical bugs have been fixed. We are working on new features continuously, but for the sake of stability they will not be merged into the ObjectDB 2.x code base. 

As you can see in the forum, we still have customers that use ObjectDB 1.0, which was released in 2003. ObjectDB 2.0 was released in 2010. We do not have an expected release date for ObjectDB 3.0 yet, but it will not be before 2016. We understand that some customers would like to see new features released more frequently, but we will not be able to do that without paying in stability. ObjectDB is an active project, with active support and frequent updates and fixes, certainly comparing to other popular ODBMS (e.g. Versant, db4o, Object Store, etc.).

ObjectDB Support
edit
delete

With all the respect, I understand your concerns about stability, but that goes for all software, so I see it more like an excuse in your case. Take a look at MySql / MySql Cluster for example.

It is possible if you want to, but only if you want to.

What is very important for us, the clients/users of ObjectDB, is to see an official road map with ETA.

edit
delete

No argue that we can if we want. Everyone can publish a roadmap with ETA. Delivering it on time with the exact described features is the problem, and this why we will not commit to future dates.

ObjectDB Support
edit
delete

To post on this website please sign in.