ObjectDB ObjectDB

Multithreading Test and Deadlock

I move on to testing the multi threaded part of ObjectDB. From the same code (MyMain.java), I set the thread count from 1 to 4 and not only do I found it's slower overall (each thread only needs to insert 250K entities) but the threads are stuck with a deadlock.

All threads share the same EntityManagerFactory but they have their own EntityManager.

The stack trace and the test are attached.

edit
delete

Thank you for the deadlock report. Please try build 2.2.3_05 that should fix it.

Regarding multithreading speed - currently in ObjectDB embedded mode multithreading improves performance in reading but not in writing. You can see this in the JPAB benchmark (compare 1 thread to 5 threads). ObjectDB is faster than the alternatives also when using multithreading in writing but the gap becomes smaller, so there may be a place for improvement here.

Your test shows that multithreading is even slower, but I found that using smaller transactions (2,000 instead of 10,000 entity objects per transaction) brings 1-thread and 4-threads runs to equivalent results, so maybe in this test 4 threads are slower because of higher memory usage (4 x 10,000 x 100 strings x attribute length => many MBs).

ObjectDB Support
edit
delete

Thanks. It solved the dead lock.

edit
delete

To post on this website please sign in.